Memorial Day weekend means beach season is about to launch into full gear. Before you head out to your favorite beach this summer, consider this. For a full day of beachy enjoyment without having to run back to the house or hotel, you’ll want to pack a cooler full of drinks and snacks for the day, right? But after a few hours in the sun, you end up with a cooler full of water, soggy snacks, and drinks that are no longer being kept cold. To avoid that problem and to keep your cooler working all day long, check out yet another dry ice summer life hack.
Packing a Cooler with Dry Ice
Of course, as always, refer back to our Dry Ice Safety 101 before attempting to handle dry ice at all. Also remember the importance of ventilation, both in the car and in the cooler itself, to prevent dangerous accidents. Once you’ve read up on proper precautions, follow these steps to pack an awesomely cool cooler for your next beach trip.
- To start, you’ll want a dry ice block big enough to keep everything cold all day. About 10 pounds per 15 inches of cooler space will do the trick for at least 24 hours. It doesn’t have to be one solid block, but the less surface area you have (i.e. the bigger the blocks), the slower it will sublimate.
- Once you have your dry ice acquired and ready to go, wrap each block in several sheets of newspaper. This will further slow sublimation as well as make it safer to handle throughout the day.
- You can pack the dry ice either on top of or underneath your food and drink. Underneath is more convenient for the sake of reaching into the cooler, but placing it on top is more efficient because cold air sinks.
- Dry ice is also awesome to use in conjunction with regular water ice. Dry ice will extend the life of water ice significantly.
- As with water ice, keep your cooler under an umbrella or towel to make the cold last even longer.
Remember to stay safe with your dry ice and you’re well on your way to enjoying a nice cool day on the beach (or, really, wherever the heck you want to take a cooler).
Dry Ice Corp: A Dry Ice Supplier in Maryland
Dry Ice Corp is the largest regional supplier of dry ice products and customized delivery services in the Northeastern United States, from Virginia all the way up to Maine. And because our dry ice is supplied by manufacturing plants located right here in the Northeast, we can guarantee freshness. Other suppliers, meanwhile, get their dry ice from manufacturing plants as much as 1,000 miles away, which has a direct impact on product freshness. Ready to get your dry ice? Click here!
Dry Ice Corp provides the highest levels of service and freshest dry ice products.
If you have any questions about using Dry Ice to ship seafood, please contact Dry Ice Corp by calling 201.767.3200. You can also connect with Dry Ice Corp on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Pinterest.