Dry ice is a great way to make fun science experiments, make cool cocktails at a party, and keep your house clean. Wait for a second, did we just say keep your house clean? Yep! Dry ice has a huge amount of cleaning power that many people underestimate. Why is dry ice such a great cleaning tool?
Dry Ice Blasting 101
Dry ice blasting the best way to get large or small areas clean quickly. Similar to sand blasting or soda blasting, dry ice is accelerated in a pressurized air stream directly onto the surface that is going to be cleaned. Dry is blasting is well-known for offering many great benefits, including:
- It’s not abrasive, so it works well for delicate or fragile services
- It’s not flammable, so it’s safe to use in delicate areas
- It’s environmentally sustainable
- It’s a responsible way to clean your environment without leaving anything behind or using harsh chemicals
- It’s food-safe and perfect for use in restaurants or food service areas
- It’s completely safe to do in work environments that have electrical or mechanical parts
- It’s a great way to remove residue from anything including release agents, contaminants, oils, biological materials, and paints
- It’s flexible in terms of how gentle or harsh it is
The History of Dry Ice Blast Cleaning
Dry ice was invented in 1835 when a scientist observed that solid carbon dioxide turned immediately into gas at it “melted.” His initial goal was to observe liquid carbon dioxide, except he didn’t realize that it didn’t exist! Dry ice gained popularity as an interesting thing to study in laboratories and universities but didn’t gain mainstream traction for many years.
Start in the late 1800s, solid carbon dioxide was actually patented with the intention of making soda water. However, the man who patented it, just like the scientist who invented it, didn’t plan ahead for it to actually not work at all. Blast cleaning using dry ice began in the 1920s, surprisingly. Their fire extinguisher used carbon dioxide. They also offered dry ice blast cleaning, and the rest is history!
Dry Ice for All of Your Needs
Dry Ice Corp is the largest regional supplier of dry ice and related products in the Northeastern United States. Our dry ice is fresh and delivered right to your doorstep. We are happy to help you determine the best way to ship your goods, whether you have a huge amount of cookies or a single pie, and help you select the perfect amount of dry ice for the job. Give us a call at (201) 767-3200 or contact us online for a quote. To connect with us online, be sure to follow us on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Twitter.